10 November 2012

good read

"Number Withheld" flashed across the screen of his mobile and, uncharacteristically, he answered.

"Good afternoon," came the familiar voice he just couldn't place, "this is Harriett Gilbert"
"Of Radio4's A Good Read fame," he replied, trying and failing to disguise the dawning recognition infecting his inflection.
"Of renown for a long and somewhat distinguished journalism career," Ms Gilbert retorted, "but yes, that is one of its current forms."
"I apologise if I have offended, Ms Gilbert, how can I be of help to you"
"I took no offense," she reassured him, "it was in fact of A Good Read that I wished to speak with you. I was calling to invite you to be a guest."
He nearly dropped his phone in shock. "I wouldn't know how to pretend it was anything other than an honour and an ambition, thankyou"
"Thank you for your enthusiasm," she chuckled. "Obviously this is still a very early stage of procedings, but do you have any preliminary thoughts as to what book you might recommend"
His pause for thought was barely a beat. "I'll take Rose Biggin's latest Philip Marlin novel, please."
"Sorry," and she genuinely sounded it, "but the rules are that it should be currently available as a paperback and that's not out in hardback until next week."
"I've read it though, Ms Gilbert," he argued, "and it's the best yet."
The slight pause that followed was where he realised he had interrupted her.
"Besides which, someone has already chosen the first of the series for later in this run, and - i'm sorry if this sounds harsh - that someone is more famous than you"
The noise he made as he attempted to suppress a deep sigh of disappointment was not his suavest moment.
"Could I push you for another choice?"
"Well, previously I always thought I would choose Anthropology and 100 Other Stories by Dan Rhodes, so I suppose I'll revert to that," he conceded.
"I don't believe I'm familiar with that; I look forward to sharing it with you. One of our people will be in touch with you soon."

No comments:

Post a Comment